DATE: SEPT 16-18, 2016
Hearts Opening: The Practices of The Buddha of Compassion
The (Ven.) Lama Karma offers us a unique opportunity to experience the traditional Vajrayana approached to meditation practice. Born in Bhutan, Lama Karma teaches from two lineages–Nyingma from his father’s side and Drukpa Kagyu from his mother, and completed all his formal training as a “Rinpoche” or teacher. As a teacher he shares the ritual traditions of Tibetan Buddhism, including dance, fire and water ceremonies. Together, we will explore sitting and walking meditation, as well as chanting and visualization practices. In the quietude of Sarana Springs, you will either camp or stay in a local B & B and live simply. Step out of your everyday mind into nature and touch what is called in Buddhism your “Natural State of Mind.”
In particular, this retreat will explore the teachings and meditation practices of the Buddha of Compassion. This will include learning Chenrezig’s mantra, OM MANI PADME HUM, and then how we extend the energy of compassion to the entire world. Compassion is “action” born of the intimacy of lovingly turning towards our suffering and the wisdom that releases attachment and turns us towards freedom.
In this retreat you will:
- Begin the retreat experience with a traditional Water Purification Ceremony and a Traditional Tea Ceremony;
- Introduction for beginners to mindfulness practice and Vajrana mantra, visualization, and practices of Buddha of Compassion including their origins and meanings;
- Experience an “Empowerment” or Blessing Ceremony of the Buddha of Compassion that you receive from a lama, or teacher, as well as teachings to support your practice;
- Receive meditation instruction and introduction to Vajrayana meditation and practice;
- Enter into periods of silence as we contemplate compassion with the support of a community and the natural world;
- Accumulate (count) as many OM MANI PADME HUM mantras as we can as a community, using a traditional “mala.”. Depending on the number of people participating in the retreat, we will set our community goal, i.e, 1 million, or 10 million etc.
- Participate in a closing Fire Ceremony that offers prayers to all beings and offers the healing energy of love and compassion to loved ones near and far.
- Lama Karma will also be available for private interviews, astrology & divination reading and blessings ceremonies.
There will be two fees associated with the program. The registration fee will cover all the financial costs for Lama Karma’s visit and for costs associated with the running of retreat. The second fee we call “dana” or generosity in Sanskrit, which is a financial gift you give to the teacher at the end of the retreat. As spiritual teachings are not bought or sold, dana refers to the gift we give to the teacher to thank them, which in turn supports them in their work.
$225 Preregistered before August 15
$250 Registered after August 15
“DANA” to teacher: If you would like some guidance on how much to dana offer, please ask us. Lama Karma depends on our generosity to support him in his work as a dharma teacher. It is a different approach than our fee for services, that puts the price tag and value on things for us. Please give generously towards his work.
ACCOMMODATIONS: Camping is available as well as local bed & breakfast. Please contact us for details.
LOCATION: Sarana Springs is approximately a 2.5 hour drive from Toronto, north of Markdale and south of Owen Sound, on 171 acres of rolling drumlins, fresh water springs, ponds, lake and a river, with a variety of forests and diverse fauna. Driving details are found on the registration page.